Learn about the documentation required for a work visa in Portugal, local expert lawyers guide you through the process of getting a work visa.
In Portugal there are four types of visas that can be obtained by non-Portuguese citizens wishing to live in Portugal:
- Student visa
- Work visas
- Golden visa
- retired persons visa
Here we are concerned with the second on this list i.e. a work visa in Portugal, where a person wishes to live and work in Portugal, not being a Portuguese citizen. The relevant law that describes the documentation required to make a successful application for a work visa in Portugal is contained in Articles 88 and 89 of the Aliens Act. The documentation required is as follows:
- Passport or other valid travel document;
- Valid residence visa;
- Proof of means of subsistence, as provided for in Ordinance no. 1563/2007 of 11/12 – receipts for the last 3 months (at least 676,67 euros per month);
- Proof that you have accommodation;
- Authorization to consult the applicant’s criminal record;
- Employment contract under the law;
- Document with information necessary to verify registration with the tax administration;
- Document with information necessary for verification of required contributions to the social security system;
- Employment contract or open independent activity;
This process takes around 6 months.
In order to ensure that you have the best possibility to obtain a work visa in Portugal, please get in touch with our experienced English-speaking immigration lawyers in Portugal.